Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Counting Sheep ~ The Importance of Sleep!

In terms of sleep work, I kind of fell into it - I was studying at uni in an unrelated field back then, and needed a job, which ended up being quite an interesting series of jobs in the respiratory/sleep area. Most of what I did was self-taught and learned from reading technical manuals on the equipment I was working with (the stuff that the public doesn’t get access to read, which describes in detail all the working parameters, treatment protocols, and functional applications of the equipment). 
I was going to formalise my sleep related qualifications by only sitting exams with an educational institution, however I started to become unwell before I could do that. That never mattered though - I knew lots of stuff so I had a good reputation in the industry at that time. 
More on MADs vs thermoplastic home adjustable mouthguards: 

With regards to selling cheaper thermoplastic self-moulding mouthguards, they’re better suited to treating bruxing (teeth grinding/jaw clenching at night while asleep which usually leads to headaches, jaw pain and can lead to tooth damage)…not really related to obstructive breathing issues…and hence why it’s helpful in bruxing because it opens the jaw slightly at the rotational axis of the temporomandibular joint (the action of opening the mouth), while providing something less dense for the teeth to clench against. Very different principles of action when compared to a mandibular advancement device which treats some forms of airway obstruction by moving the lower jaw forward in relation to the upper jaw, thus increasing the space available at the back of the lower jaw, resulting in less soft tissue obstruction by the tongue. Importantly, the hinge-action of opening the mouth is different to the forward displacement of the lower jaw, when considering soft tissue obstruction at the pharynx (back of the mouth extending to the top of the throat and lower back bit of the nasal cavity).
That’s pretty much the key differences between a thermoplastic do it yourself mouth device, and the MAD mouth device.

Thank 😊 you for the links @PinkFlamingo and the information 

no worries @Shaz51 

If you'd like any clarification, please do tag 🙂 xx

They say parathyroid plays a part too @PinkFlamingo as I have been reading 

Yes, there's some emerging data about hyperparathyroidism and hypoparathyroidism both affecting sleep... 

hyperparathyroidism and sleep - chat by Columbia uni docs 

sleep quality and cognitive function hyperparathyroidism 

symptoms including fatigue with hypoparathyroidism 

And if these are secondary to other disease processes, then there is an added layer of complexity...

Do you have a particular (hyper or hypo) that youre interested in @Shaz51 ? 🙂

I'm usually pretty good at sleeping. I have phases where even when I sleep I feel like I've been wake throughout the night (I think it's MH related) but usually I put a podcast in my ears and I'm out like a light! 

ACUPRESSURE FOR INSOMNIA

I do acupressure for a range of things mainly emotional stuff and have a manual for releasing energy in the body if I am faced with difficult to manage emotions

Here are some acupressure points for insomnia, some of which I have tried and work well. Its incredible how these energy points can calm the mind and gently lull you off to sleep

https://www.healthline.com/health/pressure-points-for-sleep#see-a-doctor

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 5.17.47 pm.png

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 5.18.15 pm.png

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 5.18.32 pm.png

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 5.19.05 pm.png

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 5.19.34 pm.png

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW