Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Getting over addiction

Did you know if your low on iron, even if you don't "know" your low on iron or that dirt contains iron, your body can make you crave eating dirt? 

I've always thought mental illness and addiction go hand in hand. I don't think happy, healthy people need to be high everyday. Anyway, the dirt story, even if you don't realise what it is you need, your brain is seeking it.

I was addicted to ice, every day user for at least two years straight, alcohol, on and off over the years. Opiates, 9 months straight at one point, cannabis, on and off over the years. When I have stopped in full use, it's always been overnight and usually because my circumstances change and it was doing more harm then help.

I've tried so many different anti depressants and mood stabilisers all over the years. At 30, I worked out that I'm adhd and asd, got my diagnosis, and my doctor prescribes most of my "addictions" too me because they are treatment.

No pressure on myself but just for me, when I'm not in crisis anymore, I would like to stop filling my  script. But right now, I need my medication too be the best person I can be and that's ok. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW