Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

HelloKitty1981
Peer Guide

Is anyone studying at TAFE this year? What did you decide to study and why?

I decided to study the Certificate 4 in Mental Health as that is where I have a lot of lived experience but also from a carers perspective and think I would be able to bring to others a lot of my knowledge to help other people and to gain additional skills to take into employment.

Hopefully the course will run Semster 2 as they did't have enough students for face to face learning which I prefer, Semester 1, in my local area.

So now I am venturing down the path of the Certificate 4 in Community Services even though I have never been a huge fan of role plays. It is going to be very but rewarding year ahead.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Is anyone studying at TAFE this year? What did you decide to study and why?

That sounds like a great avenue for many opportunities @HelloKitty1981 . 

We look forward to hearing how you go with it.

I think for TAFE, for me, it was a taste test to see if I liked the industry. If I was interested, I'd be able to delve into further studies. If not, then it was another cert under my belt.

I'm looking into studying an Art Therapy Course.

I used to work in the Health Industry working with Children and families.

Then had to resign 18months into the beginning of the Pandemic. 

After having so much time off work, I started painting again to help with my mental health and people have asked if i would teach them so i'm thinking this is my new goal to work towards. I also like studying so feels like a good choice so far.

Hello again @HelloKitty1981 ! 

I'm studying at uni (scary) starting this week so relate to your feelings. The main thing with study is to keep consistent, plan everything out and don't leave things to the last minute (if possible). 

I was advised to print out my unit outline and keep track of exactly what I have to get done each week and have set time to do this in my plans for each week. 

I think you'll do great and as somebody who does support work it's a wonderful, diverse experience. 

thank you 🙂

oh that is great to hear and I think you teaching art therapy is a great think to learn and goes well with your background knowledge and skill set.

Art was very helpful for me in times when I have felt very alone, and in bouts of depression to feel productive again.

What subject are you planning on studying? I always wanted to do paralegal but did'nt get the marks to get into the university I wanted to go to and having to move away for study.

This is my first certificate Level 4 in a very long time and being back at TAFE and a public provider and most things being digital uploading of assessments etc. I think it helps to be well rounded in different work fields job wise and broader opportunities and placements.

I am not sure if I will end up going on to uni, even though we have a university in my local area but it is something to think about.

Last year I began studying a diploma of mental health but I fell behind when the demands of study, parenting, work and managing my own mental health got all a bit too much. Now that I'm in a better place with all my kids in school I'm looking to do the Cert IV in mental health peer support work 😊

@HelloKitty1981 @Jasper_123 @Leesu @tyme 

Hi there @HelloKitty1981 @MermaidHair @Jasper_123 @Leesu @tyme and all forumites here. What a great discussion thread @HelloKitty1981.

I’m in the process of completing at Certificate IV in Leisure and Health with the girl to become a lifestyle and leisure worker in an aged care facility. I like being creative such as with knitting, crochet and cross stitch and drawing abstract images, as well as an interest in older people and a love of trivia. I like learning about people and listening to stories that people share so it’s a great fit for me. 

I have done uni many years ago starting off with a Bachelor of Education and then graduating with a Bachelor of Arts majoring in sociology and public policy but couldn’t put the degree to use as I fell sick for many years. I tried the Certificate IV in Mental Health a few times at Tafe but realised that I was more suited to being in leisure and health due to personal issues and the way mental health is based at for employment prospects ( very dependent on client funding and a lot of driving clients around which I don’t like as I don’t drive a lot due to anxiety issues). At least with my current course, I’m based at a facility and can focus on making peoples days fun and enjoyable by doing activities that they like and learning from them as well.

The mental health course is a great course as I know people who have completed it and graduated with the Certificate once they have completed their practical placement component but it wasn’t for me. I wish you all the best with the course!

Judi9877

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW