Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

ArraDreaming
Senior Contributor

The SANE kitchen

Come and read some chef’s best recipes! Add in your own if you like. 

Disclaimer / I’m not a trained chef.

Ingredients are mostly pantry staples, it’s 2024 we are all too broke for that fancy stuff. A lot of the fresh veg comes from my garden. 

Also pretty basic nothing fancy, trying to make use of what we have and waste less. Also, play with the quantity this is really up to you, mine won’t be that accurate cause sometimes I cook for 2 sometimes for 4 sometimes I put things in freezer.

Starting with recipe 1 in the reply posts below

Please add your own too! 😊

70 REPLIES 70

Re: The SANE kitchen

Basic mushroom pasta (I like this one cause it is no waste).

- Mushrooms
- Any kind of pasta
- Lemon
- Butter or olive oil, I find a healthy dose of butter way better
- Garlic
- Cheese for topping

1. Boil the pasta,
2. Sautee the mushies in with the butter and garlic (seperate to the water and pasta, please like come on we don’t want an oil and water fire)
3. Grate the lemon rind down into the mushroom mix.
4. Mix all together, get the lemon and squeeze the lemon juice onto the pasta
5. Serve with cheese

So simple but so delicious - note, the garlic is very important.

@ArraDreaming 

I love this idea. 

I'll get some recipes tomorrow that I've got. 

Aww yesss @ArraDreaming I love this!! 

Tagging @Shaz51 @tyme @Bow @Captain24 @Snowie in case anyone has some recipes they wanna share! Please also tag others who you think would like this thread! I'll type something up soon, maybe my risotto recipe 😉

Yummmm 🤤🍛🍽🥘

hello @ArraDreaming , @Jynx , @Birdofparadise8 

Will share mine tomorrow 🙂

Shame I don’t cook! I might learn through here though

That recipe sounds great - nice and easy, and I'm intrigued by the lemon idea. Thanks @ArraDreaming !

Cauliflower, Cheese & Chive Soup

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 large onion, diced

½ tsp cumin powder

1 tsp dried chives

1 garlic clove, crushed

1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets

2 potatoes, peeled, chopped

1/2 litre of stock

1/4 cup cream

Crumble of full-flavoured cheese

Serves two

Method 

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion has softened. Add cumin, chives, cauliflower and potato. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
  2. Add stock. Season with pepper. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
Blend in batches until smooth. Return to pan over low heat. Add pure cream. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve.

Lamb and Yoghurt Curry

Ingredients

1 Tbsp butter

2 tsp oil

250 g lamb, cut into

2 cm pieces

1 brown onion, finely chopped

1 garlic clove, finely chopped

1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp garam masala

½ tsp sweet paprika

Pinch chilli powder

½ cup chicken liquid stock

2 Tbsp Greek-style yoghurt

2 Tbsp pouring

Method:

1. Melt butter and fry the lamb pieces until browned. Transfer to a plate.
  2. Add oil to the pan. Reduce heat to low. Add the onion and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Uncover and cook for 5 minutes or until golden.
  3. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft.
  4. Add the cumin, ground coriander, garam masala, paprika and chilli powder. Cook for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
  5. Add the lamb and stock. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
    Uncover and cook for 20 minutes.
  6. Stir in the yoghurt and cream. Simmer for a further 10 minutes or until the lamb is very tender and the sauce thickens.
  7. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with flat bread.

Note: I added carrots, potatoes, and peas. I also cook it for much longer until the meat and vegetables are cooked. Add potato and carrot an hour or two before dishing up, and then peas just before until cooked through. 

Jamie Oliver's Easy flatbreads

Flatbreads:

175g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting

½ teaspoon baking powder

175g natural yoghurt

Garlic and herb butter (optional)

1 clove of garlic

a bunch of fresh soft herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, tarragon, basil, dill

20 g unsalted butter

AddThis Sharing Buttons

Share to Facebook

Share to Twitter

Share to

Email

Share to Pinterest

Method:

1. Add all the flatbread ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix together with a spoon, then use clean hands to pat and bring everything together.
  2. Dust a clean work surface with flour, then tip out the dough.
  3. Knead for a minute or so to bring it all together (this isn't a traditional bread recipe, so you don't need to knead it for long - just enough time to bring everything together).
  4. Put the dough into a floured-dusted bowl and cover with a plate, then leave aside.
  5. If making the garlic butter, peel the garlic cloves and crush them with a garlic crusher.
  6. Pick the herb leaves onto a chopping board and finely chop them, discarding the stalks.
  7. Melt the butter in microwave then stir through the garlic and chopped herbs, then set aside.
  8. Roll into four balls and flatten out with a rolling pin. 
  9. Heat up a frying pan, put the rolled-out dough, and cook on both sides until golden brown. 

Note: You can double the recipe to make more. The four flat bread are a bit small. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW