Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Thick with the ‘tism – ASD Social Space

@_PixieSolstice_  i totally get you with the too many people thing i am a small groups person but it is good they all understood at least. 

@Eden1919 i can’t decide, large groups are kind of ok because I can just take a step back and observe and listen to what other people are saying (this was the most creative way I could say “I can go non verbal” lol) but then small groups are nice so you can have personalised little chats.

Either way I guess I just need to look after my sensory needs in any social situation I guess 

also ‘tism related rant for a second - my psychiatrist put in his latest letter to my GP that I have “autism spectrum features” and “requires formal evaluation”

I had the formal evaluation etc when I was 10! Come on!!! (I barely remember it but I’m pretty sure it was stressful for a kid. And listening to friends experiences, not great as an adult. also I’m not made of money to pay for one!!!)

im trying to look on the bright side and just think I’m too good at masking so maybe my autism isn’t completely obvious lol 

That sounds odd @_PixieSolstice_, when it sounds you've already gone through an evaluation/ assessment! I wonder if it might be a case of ensuring your psychiatrist/ GP has that information about the assessment/ evaluation completed when you were 10?

Being good at masking can definitely be an advantage, though it can take it's toll too! Make sure to take good care & look after yourself 🧡

Yeah @TideisTurning, I’m guessing so too. Means I’ll have to go through the public system to get access to my records so could be an…interesting journey 

@_PixieSolstice_  That sounds frustrating to have to go through the whole process again hopefully you can find the records. 

Ooft. That does sound lie a bit of a ride @_PixieSolstice_, and frustrating too like Eden said. Wishing you luck & keeping my fingers crossed it goes relatively smoothly for you 😊

Hi @Jynx and everyone i found out today that i am officially diagnosed with autism it was in my paperwork for my treatment order renewal. nobody told me this idk if they were ever going to tell me but it feels weird now like i know my psychologist had been saying she thinks i have it but now to get confirmation is really weird lol idk how i am supposed to feel. 

Welcome to the ‘tism club @Eden1919 

I feel like there’s no particular right or wrong way to feel about confirming a diagnosis or anything, like people have relief, anger, happiness, disappointment, positiveness, negativeness, more questions, and acknowledgment of having it.

very odd it was in your treatment order and nobody bothered to tell you

unrelated, my psychologist thinks I might be in autistic burnout.

im very thankful she understands ASD (and in females too!!) and I’ve got a small network around me but ugh I guess I’ve been masking a bit too much 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW