Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

sid7
New Contributor

Agoraphobia & isolation

I'm having a bad flare up of my agoraphobia, which I know is because of my trauma. I can't see my psychologist because she's over an hour away, and I don't have a psychiatrist appointment for 3 weeks because he's sick. They're both not helping anyway, neither seem to actually want to address the problem (because I can go to places I'm familiar with when it's not this bad, which I guess if fine until I move). I'm also not diagnosed with either PTSD or agoraphobia, because I only know how to get diagnosed in hospital. 

Everything I have to do right now requires a support network that I just don't have, so whenever I get bad I end up in a mental hospital. And I feel like I've tried every service available to me, but they don't know what to do with me. I've even tried whatever natural remedies my hippie friends have recommended. I just need help, I'm running out of options & delivery is expensive, especially while I'm not working. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Agoraphobia & isolation

Hi and welcome, @sid7 ! It's good to have you here, where people can understand what you're going through. I have agoraphobia too, which has worsened during lockdown, so I can relate.

I'm wondering if your psychologist might offer you a Telehealth appointment if you explain to her you can't make it in person this time? I can relate to being able to go to familiar places on a good day, but having no hope of doing that on a bad mental health day. 

I'm also wondering if you can pursue a diagnosis of both agoraphobia and PTSD with your psychologist and /or psychiatrist? Especially now that both conditions have  flared up for you. I have been diagnosed while not in hospital. 

Feel free to continue to share here on the forums... A handy forum tip is if you type @ and click on a member's name in the drop-down box, they will get a notification that you've replied to them. 

Good luck, @sid7 ...

Hi @NatureLover, thank you for the support. My psychologist only offers Telehealth appointments without a Medicare rebate, and they're more expensive than regular sessions. I'm not working at the moment so I don't think this is an option right now, but I appreciate the advice anyway. 

@sid7  That all sounds frustrating. I can hear how hard you are trying to help yourself.

I don’t know if finding a social worker in your area is a possibility. They can be all rounders, and offer some of the best professional help. I know, because I was like you, hospital visits, and no one knowing what to do with me. A social worker picked up the pieces, or it working towards that. 

It might not be helpful at all, so flag it if that’s the case.

Wanting to support you in whatever way is helpful.

Welcome to the forums. 

@sid7 wrote:

My psychologist only offers Telehealth appointments without a Medicare rebate, and they're more expensive than regular sessions. I'm not working at the moment so I don't think this is an option right now, but I appreciate the advice anyway. 

That's a bugger, @sid7 . I wonder if there's any closer psychologists in your area? Especially if your current psychologist doesn't want to address your agoraphobia and PTSD...it seems a waste of your precious subsidised appointments almost. 

I agree that you need to find the support now, while you're feeling bad enough to demonstrate to the pdoc about your agoraphobia and PTSD. 

I really feel for you...am hoping something can get sorted out soon for you. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW