Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Kevin_baker
Casual Contributor

Struggling to cope

I'm 40yo,I just got out of jail after 3 years, my wife has cheated on me and we're getting divorced, I've lost over $2 million through theft while I was in prison (the second time I've lost that much money through someone else), my spiteful soon to be ex-wife even destroyed the only photos I have of me with my daughters. I'm slowly losing more and more and I don't know how many more blows I can take. I already suffer depression, anxiety, ptsd, and autism and have attempted suicide 3 times in the past. I don't know how much longer I can keep going with so much going wrong

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Struggling to cope

Not sure I can offer you anything but to say I hear you and am feeling the same way at the moment.

Hi @Kevin_baker & @maxxx . Welcome to the forums. 🙂

Although my specific problems are differant, I too am stuck in a similar predicament of the whole landscape of my life being very broken.

You certainly have more then your fair share of problems at the moment, @Kevin_baker . Would it help to narrow down a #1 problem that you'd like to get fixed?

I don't know. I'd be struggling to pick out a number 1 problem

Hi, welcome @Kevin_baker 

I'm sorry to hear what you're suffering 😢

What supports do you have around you? 

A handy forum tip to tag someone is to type @ and then click on their name in the drop-down box - that way they'll get a notification that you've replied to them.

All I have left are my parents and my best friend. Everyone else has turned their backs on me

Hi @Kevin_baker 

Welcome to the Sane forums.

I'm sorry that you are going through so much at the moment. It sounds like things are just pilling on top of each other and you are just a spectator in all of it.

Just posting on here shows there is a part of you that does want to keep going.

I'm glad you have your parents and friend but is there any chance of getting more support? Some professional support at all?

Is there any groups/supports that you can join at all? Something in the community?

Sorry for all the questions.

I really hope you do find this forum supportive for you. I have found it to be a good place for support. It is nice to know I'm not alone, people can understand to an extent what I am going through and that there is no judgement here.

Hope to hear from you again

@Kevin_baker wrote:

I don't know. I'd be struggling to pick out a number 1 problem

Okay. Well, would it help to describe the ideal life that you'd like to have? If we have some sense of where you'd like to get to, we may be in a better position to suggest the right help.

All i want is a job I enjoy. Preferably mining. And a partner I can trust who actually deserves it

@Kevin_baker wrote:

All i want is a job I enjoy. Preferably mining. And a partner I can trust who actually deserves it

I can certainly relate to your desire for a meaningful relationship. Unfortunately, I've found it immensely difficult to find a therapist who sets patients up with appropriate partners. Most seem to adhere to what they call "the golden rule of therapy", which essentially means that they won't offer their patients any actual help with their real-life problems (such as loneliness). However, my understanding is that "psychosocial support" therapists do help patients with their real-life problems, so this may be an avenue you want to explore.

Unfortunately, I've found them incredibly difficult to track down. I've never been able to find any in my area. I get the impression that it's currantly a pretty small profession.

In terms of getting a job in mining, I've heard alternately that either "occupational therapists" or "career councillors" are the ones who give patients their jobs. I'm under the impression that these are just two differant titles for the same job, but don't quote me on that. I have no idea how good/effective they are, as I don't have any personal experiance of their service, myself.

Hope this helps a bit.🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW