Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Peonies
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday// BPD Awareness– Flipping the script with a special guest from Spectrum// Tues 6th October,7 pm-8:30pm AEDT

Hi everyone, 

From October 1st to October 7th, 2020 is Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness week. In line with this year’s BPD Awareness week’s theme on Flipping the Script: Changing the narrative on BPD,  this month’s Topic Tuesday will be discussing how we can change the way people (and ourselves) think and talk about Borderline Personality Disorder with our special guest from Spectrum

October LE BPD Event (1).png

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is this?

The event runs from 7pm - 8.30pm AEDT on the 6th of October 2020. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of the topic and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Our text-based event takes place right here! As it is text-based, no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the newest comments (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye out for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post. We recommend using a desktop computer or laptop for the event for overall ease of use .

Throughout the session, the facilitator will post questions for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the event, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong, and everyone is welcome to get involved! 

What time does this event start in my timezone?

• AEDT- 7pm
  • AEST- 6pm
  • ACDT- 6:30pm
  • ACST- 5:30pm
  • WST- 4pm

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

105 REPLIES 105

Re: Topic Tuesday// BPD Awareness– Flipping the script with a special guest from Spectrum// Tues 6th October,7 pm-8:30pm AEDT

A warm welcome to tonight’s event!

I am very excited to be hosting this month’s Topic Tuesday event for BPD Awareness week (running from 1st of October to the 7th of October 2020) with @JulianSpectrum  from Spectrum.

Dr. Julian is a clinical psychologist working in Melbourne, Australia. As a senior clinician with Spectrum, the Personality Disorder Service for Victoria, Julian works in both the Mentalization-Based Treatment (MBT) Clinic and Complex Care Programmes.

I also wanted to extend a special welcome to those who wanted a reminder for tonight’s event (I hope you can join us) :

@BPDAWARENESS @Former-Member @JJ4 @Aniela @Lost-66 @Fluttershy1 @Former-Member @BPDSurvivor @Maggie @Appleblossom @Shaz51 @Schitzo @BlueBay @Judi9877 @Clawde @Mel_kids3  @sara74 @just_diagnosed 

In tonight’s event, we will be discussing self-perception, public misunderstanding, and labelling of BPD, explaining BPD to others, different types of treatments for BPD. By the end of the night, we hope you can take away some useful tips from each other (and from our special guest) to flip the script on BPD!
I also want to thank our wonderful community guides @Teej and @Judi9877  for their input on some of the questions we will be addressing tonight  🙌

If you are having trouble at any point during tonight’s discussion and find that you feel triggered by this topic, please engage in self-care and reach out to our counsellors at the SANE Help Centre via phone (1800 18 7263) or chat, or one of the helplines for support. There are a few listed when you scroll up at the right-hand side of the page 😊

I will now invite @JulianSpectrum  to introduce himself, and then we will get the discussion started!

For those who are new to our Topic Tuesday events, this is an online text-based event that is happening right here on this thread! Refresh your browser every few minutes to keep up with the latest posts, and be sure to hit the reply button to get involved!🌻  

Re: Topic Tuesday// BPD Awareness– Flipping the script with a special guest from Spectrum// Tues 6th October,7 pm-8:30pm AEDT

hi @Peonies @JulianSpectrum 

I'm glad to be here tonight 👋

@Peonies 

Hi everyone, thanks for having me back, I’m really thrilled to be supporting BPD Awareness Week and to be part of the discussion tonight. A little about me – in my roles at Spectrum I provide individual and group treatment for adults with personality disorders, training, consultation to systems, and supervision. I am an accredited MBT practitioner and supervisor, as recognised by the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families.

I have worked in both public and private sectors for over 10 years. In previous roles, this has included working with adults with severe eating disorders in inpatient and outpatient settings, adult inpatients, day programs for adults with BPD, and adolescents in custodial and community forensic settings.

Hi there @BlueBay ! Welcome to tonight's event Smiley Very Happy 

@Peonies @JulianSpectrum 

I was diagnosed with BPD over 10 yrs ago when I was in my 40's. 
I'm still struggling with emotional regulation. 
As well as other stuff. 
I have been to spectrum once and it was good but a very short course. 

@Peonies @JulianSpectrum @BlueBay 👋🏻👋🏻 I’m looking forward to learning more about BPD. Thanks for tonight’s discussion.

Hi @JulianSpectrum 

@can you pls explain what MBT is and how beneficial it is. 

@BlueBay Great to have you with us but sorry to hear things are still difficult. Some of the things you raised are likely to get touched on in the discussion tonight. Will be keen to hear your thoughts as we go along.

Hi @Peonies @JulianSpectrum @BlueBay @Maggie and everyone here. It's great to be part of this!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW