Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

chibam
Senior Contributor

Article About A "Breakthrough" In Treating Depression & It's Implications For The Future Of Mental Healthcare

So this article came up in my newsfeed this arvo: 
https://www.msn.com/en-au/health/other/major-breakthrough-in-treatment-of-depression/ar-BB1oqLOJ 

It gets a bit sciency - and maybe that in itself is something you'd like to address - but I'd be interested in reading other peoples' impressions on this.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Article About A "Breakthrough" In Treating Depression & It's Implications For The Future Of Mental Healthcare

Very interesting @chibam ,

I don't know what I can add to the link you shared except for "What this space". I'd certainly be interested to hear any follow-on research.

I personally don't like the term 'treatment resistant' because I feel it means the person doesn't need to hope that things will improve.

For me personally, when I understood the brain activity from a certain therapy, it helped me engage with the therapy better. But that might be different for other people.

Re: Article About A "Breakthrough" In Treating Depression & It's Implications For The Future Of Mental Healthcare

@tyme  here you go. 

“the team is hoping that by being able to categorise the type of depression, they will also be able to pair it with the most appropriate treatment, removing the element of trial and error”

https://metro.co.uk/2024/06/18/major-breakthrough-treatment-depression-21055683/amp/

"Professor Williams and her team are now expanding the study to include more people, and hope to test treatments for all six biotypes – including those not traditionally used for depression."

One could potentially read good things into that line. But it concerns me that the overall tone of the article seems to be leaning towards medicalizing depression even more then it is now, not less.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW