Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

NoDirtyLaundry
New Contributor

New Dx and expectations

Hi

I got my dx on 12/05/23.  The psychiatrist said it was BPD and will write a letter to my GP, which he did.  Since then I tried to get into a DBT group program at a private hospital but was not accepted by their psychiatrist (no reason or discussion).  I have spent hours and hours on the phone to a variety of different gov/non-government/NFP and private therapists and group providers and still got no where due to finances or no one returning calls or groups being full.  So what happens now?  The psychiatrist has no interest, it appears in seeing me again.  My GP is wonderful but extremely limited in what she can do.  Is that it?  Since the dx I have crashed and I work for myself, now down to part time hours, I am a single parent and have no family or friends.  So what now?  Is this our mental health system at it's finest?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: New Dx and expectations

Hi @NoDirtyLaundry ,

Welcome to the forums. I can see how hard it has been for you to get into a DBT program. 

A good place to start is the Australian BPD Foundation. Their newsletter has different BPD-specific and non BPD-specific services you may be able to contact.

You are also welcome to connect with Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script . @BPDSurvivor would be able to guide you as they have had specific therapy for BPD.

Hi @NoDirtyLaundry 

First let me welcome you to our forum - I am sure there are people here who can assist you - and I will say something I hope will be helpful.

First - you are the same person you were before your dx - and it's true - the public mental health service is overloaded - this isn't at all fair and I guess it depends where you live about how you get professional help,

As a single parent I am guessing your financial resources are stretched already - if you do have the funds needed your GP can prepare a mental health plan and refer you to a psychologist - this will be hard to implement in a rural environment - and it also depends on your state - I can only wish you the best with that - btw - Medicare does refund part of your outlay - still - you have to pay the whole account first.

About the psychiatrist - maybe that person is booked up - it seems more than disappointing you get a "No" without any explanation - that is a dead end - and it seems you have followed up anything else that might be available. But don't give up.

I do understand - the whole system - not just mental health - is strapped for time - I had to wait in an ambulance for 3 hours to be treated for a household accident - the ED in a public hospital was so busy - and when I did get seen I think I was in and out in 20 minutes -  so yes - sad as it is - this is what's happening.

I can tag a couple of members I know have BPD - they may be able to help - there are many more I can't think off right now - but the two people I tag may have more people they know on the forum.

My son had BPD - I know it's a tough call - I wonder though - if knowing or thinking you have BPD makes it better or worse.

Thinking of you❤️

Owlunar

@BPDSurvivor @outlander -  I am hoping either of you can give better help than I can or tag others you know

Owlunar

hi @NoDirtyLaundry

having a new diagnosis can be quite daunting especially when you feel like no one is supporting you.

i would ask your gp to write a referral to a new psychiatrist. the current one doesnt appear to be taking your concerns seriously, i would also ask your gp to refer you to a psychologist. you can access a mental health care plan which gives you 10 sessions with a psychologist at a lower cost.

i do have BPD however i didnt do any DBT therapy specifically so try not to focus soley on that form of therapy if its not currently an option. i would also contact the hospital and ask them why you werent accepted. they can sometimes tell you a reason, you may even be able to reapply yourself.

have you considered joining a parents group? or another social group, maybe for a hobby you like or would like to try? this may be a way for you to meet some friends or perhaps you could apply for a part time job with flexibility for your child/ren

i dont think any diagnosis is a definition of who you are. it might help you to find some help but it shouldnt define who you are. BPD can be hard to manage but it isnt impossible. try not to loose hope

HI @NoDirtyLaundry , I hope you are okay

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW