Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Healandlove
Senior Contributor

Complex-PTSD husband and therapist

Hi lovely @shaz51, @RiverSeal @tyme @amber22 @PinkFlamingo  I hope you are all well tonight. I wanted to provide an update on the session with my husband's psychologist. We went today. My husband wanted me to meet his psychologist separately so I went in first. My questions to him were around what type of therapy he is having and how I can support him whilst still putting on my own boundaries. The psychologist was nice and I can see why my husband feels comfortable with him. I am a bit concerned at the type of therapy though. Does anyone here have experience with psychodynamic psychotherapy? That's what my husband is receiving. From.what I have been reading its not a structured or does not seem like a structured type of therapy and it aims at changing the core belief from within. The psychologist also mentioned familial models or something like that? I am now worrying whether this therapy will help my husband or not. But I have to trust that he does seem to have made some changes slowly? Would be grateful for any insights from.this lovely community. The psychologist also encouraged me to get my own support to support my husband. I will re-commence sessions again soon. I'm.so tired. Overall I don't know if today helped....I guess at least now I know what type of therapy he is under. Love to you all ❤️‍🩹❤️

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Complex-PTSD husband and therapist

Hey @Healandlove just popping in to share something I learned at uni - a massive study (I cannot remember which) that found that the most important factor in the efficacy of any therapy is the relationship between therapist and client; trust and safety within the relationship matters far more than the therapeutic modality/approach used. Psychodynamic psychotherapy is actually one that really leans into the therapeutic relationship as an agent of change, so it could be a good fit - probably will just depend on how your husband and the new therapist go in building that relationship. I hope it ends up being really helpful for him 🤞💜

@Jynx thank you so much for your reply and insight. My husband really likes this therapist and I told his therapist that my husband feels safe with him and trusts him and that is so good because he really doesn't have any close relationships with anyone (not with his father, mother,  brother etc) to be able to talk about his mental health. 

I hope you are right and this therapy helps him get better.  I really hope he doesn't give up on himself or on his family.  

Thank you again,  I hope you are having a good evening 🙏🏻 😊 

Hey there @Healandlove 💜🌺

I hope you’re feeling ok today after seeing your husbands tpst and discussing the therapy. 
I read a while ago that psychodynamic psychotherapy may not be as effective in ptsd, however I have no personal experience with this therapy at all. 
I also guess that some therapies differ greatly in efficacy depending on individuals and rapport with therapists too 🙂🌺

I hope that’s helpful..? 
sorry I’m having a kind of bad day today 😔

found you my @Healandlove 😍

aww @PinkFlamingo , sorry to hear you are having a bad day ❤️

Thanks @Shaz51 💜

Hey @Healandlove ,

I've heard only a little about this type of therapy and I don't think I've got any more to add than what others have shared already. 

To be honest, if your husband is comfy with this therapist, it's actually a really good start. A lot of people find it very hard to click with someone.

From my experience, there are many very qualified therapists, but if they don't click with their clients, it makes it very hard for anything to be effective.

We will wait to hear from you.

I'm glad you were able to speak to the therapist too.

@tyme , thank you so much for your encouraging words and taking the time to reply. I hope you had a nice Sunday 🥰😘

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW