Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What peer support is and why it's great // Tues 11th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@Zoe7 wrote:

With peer support we have a knowledge that who we are connecting with has also been through similar experiences and understand much of what we are dealing with. Empathy therefore is personally acquired through mutual understanding and a shared knowledge of the reality we are in.

It's a really powerful thing knowing that you are sitting with someone who gets it. @Zoe7 I would be really interested to hear about your first peer support experience. What was having that empathy and mutual understanding like for you? And did it differ from the feeling or impact of meeting other types of mental health supports?

Re: Topic Tuesday // What peer support is and why it's great // Tues 11th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@Daisydreamer @Former-Member 

Would very much like to have been part of tonights discussion, however, not able to. I will read the script tomorrow apologies to @Daisydreamer & @Former-Member

HenryX

@Former-MemberYep, I've got it. Smiley Happy

So, do peer support workers fill that gap where traditional therapists don't offer actual help or meaningful advice to their patients (a.k.a. "the golden rule of therapy")?

Yes I can now but I wouldn’t have been able to with out your link

There would be a lot of crossover in terms of how peer support is delivered @Adge. I've had quite a few friends who have started with peer support in the disability sector, then coming across to mental health and vice versa 🙂 

I am currently studying a Cert IV in Community Services at TAFE and have an interest in Support/Peer work, I was super excited when I saw a forum about "What is peer support and why it's great ". I have over 10 years with supporting my wonderful brother who struggles with Mental Health and AOD daily. 

I look forward to sharing my experiences and supporting those who will accept it 🙂

@chibam I think one of the most powerful things about peer support is the idea of staying away from offering advice and holding a space for where someone is at at that moment in time - sitting there, sharing our own experiences of what has worked or hasn't and really empowering someone to plan their own recovery.

I haven't heard the term 'golden rule of therapy' but I hope that helps answer your question! 😀

Hi @Former-Member and @chibam
Glad that you were able to find us here 🙂 To catch you up, the community have been sharing words that come to mind when we think of peer support. Now, we are talking about how peer support is different to others kinds of mental health support- the things that make it unique 🙂

Feel free to jump in and offer your thoughts 🙂

My first experience with peer support @Daisydreamer was here on these forums. It was at a time I was exceptionally unwell and my GP suggested connecting on this site with others. As a result of that I not only found my voice but along the way was supported by many amazing members who not only helped me get through the darkest of dark days but encourgaed me, held out hope for me and above all showed they both understood and supported me the whole way through. Those people I have met here have been nothing short of life savers and I now value as friends. Being amongst people that understood and could walk along each day/week/month with me with empathy and understanding was invaluable and helped me to get to a stage I could both acknowledge my own 'issues' as well as work through them.

It differed from other types of mental health support as it was 24/7 and based on mutual respect, equality and sharing of lived experiences. I am very lucky that my other supports were also 24/7 if needed but having peers always there to share and bounce things off was absolutely invaluable.

@MyBrosKeeper welcome, it's so great to have you here! Looking forward to hearing your perspectives 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW