Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What peer support is and why it's great // Tues 11th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@Shaz51  Yes and by doing this we are unable to follow what's going on as we would normally. I can only read the reply's to what I have just written 

Re: Topic Tuesday // What peer support is and why it's great // Tues 11th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@Former-Member wrote:

@Former-Member Oh that word of sitting with you and not giving advise...ouch! I was in real need of advice and asked for it. Desperate for actual advice. To hear the above nearly drove me to the unthinkable! I really believe there are times when you have to give an answer. You need to listen to what is going on under the written words.

Very true. I shan't be going back to the mental health system myself until they create a therapist role that does provide real help and real advice, because that's what I need.

No point engaging with them at all if they aren't set up to provide what I need. Just a money pit and a lot of heartache until then.

Hi @sadpisces we are having the conversation about peer support over here 🙂 At the moment we are talking about top tips for providing peer support 🙂 Would love to hear your thoughts

@Daisydreamer First and foremost is not judging anyone. We all deal with things differently and all have our own lives to 'fit into'. Second is 'listening' to what is being said and not presuming that anyone is any better or worse in their own situation that anyone else. And Thirdly is allowing the other person(s) to be able to talk - that is an area that many of us do not have any other outlet for and knowing that we can be open, honest and listened to is empowering.

Question 3 is open for everyone- looking forward to hearing your responses: On the forums, we can all be a part of providing peer support to our fellow community members. What are your top tips for providing peer support?

Good question @Daisydreamer 

I think safety is the most important thing when providing peer support! That’s around our own personal safety in sharing our stories and the safety of the other community members in considering why we are sharing and if what we are sharing is going to help the person.

My personal top tips for supporting someone would be:

1. Know your own personal boundaries, how much you are willing to share, what you are comfortable and feel safe talking about

2. Meet the person where they are at

3. Hold space for their emotions without judgement 

Non-judgmental approach, listening and allowing others to talk are great top tips @Zoe7 

That’s great. I love Glennon Doyle

totally true @Zoe7 , @Former-Member 

hello @TideisTurning Smiley Very Happy

While everyone is answering the top tips question, this one is for you @Former-Member 

Q4: What are some of the boundaries we need to think about when supporting others?

Some of my top tips:

• Make no assumptions about other people
  • Be open to continually learn, grow, and adapt with how you provide peer support
  • Be very attentive to your own self-care 
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW