Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What peer support is and why it's great // Tues 11th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@Zoe7 I had this instant feeling of warmth in reading your post 💜 I can hear the impact that the connections and friendships here have had, and I am sure I speak for so many people on the forums when I say that you are also that person who is there through thick and thin for so many of your peers. 

This was one quote I had to repost- it really spoke to me:

"As a result of that I not only found my voice but along the way was supported by many amazing members who not only helped me get through the darkest of dark days but encourgaed me, held out hope for me and above all showed they both understood and supported me the whole way through."

Re: Topic Tuesday // What peer support is and why it's great // Tues 11th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@Former-Member Oh that word of sitting with you and not giving advise...ouch! I was in real need of advice and asked for it. Desperate for actual advice. To hear the above nearly drove me to the unthinkable! I really believe there are times when you have to give an answer. You need to listen to what is going on under the written words.

don't really know how to Refresh the page (either).
I Back-Peddle to the Notifications Page - Then click on Latest Notification (of this Discussion).-- yes i do that too @Adge 

@Former-Member wrote:

@chibam I think one of the most powerful things about peer support is the idea of staying away from offering advice and holding a space for where someone is at at that moment in time - sitting there, sharing our own experiences of what has worked or hasn't and really empowering someone to plan their own recovery.

I haven't heard the term 'golden rule of therapy' but I hope that helps answer your question! 😀

It does. Smiley Happy Still, it's a shame. Absence of real help for people in crisis is a huge - and apparently ongoing - problem with the mental health system.

I've heard traditional therapists' obligation to abstain from providing real help referred to as "the golden rule of therapy" several times, from differant sources; so it must be at least a pseudo-official term, if not an openly discussed one.

Thank you adge I have started to do this, but feel I am all over the place and very confused 🤷‍♀️ 

It was a Ruah MH Worker - Who told me of (Recommended) Sane Forums @Daisydreamer @Former-Member @Former-Member 

4 years ago.

Adge

Yes I have read all the instructions @Former-Member but all I have is an iPad I don't have that refresh symbol 

@Daisydreamer Thank you - I try to be - especially as I know just how alone it can feel living with MI and not having anywhere to turn. This forum has not only provided me with a safe place to land but I have met the most amazing people here. MI does not have to be all that we are but it certainly does impact our lives - and having people around us that get that and can walk along with us is invaluable.

@Former-Member  that is why it is soo good here because if one member does not know what to say , others members can give advice xx

Question 3 is open for everyone- looking forward to hearing your responses: On the forums, we can all be a part of providing peer support to our fellow community members. What are your top tips for providing peer support?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Search Mental Health Carers NSW